Sunday, February 8, 2015

Hi again!


I’ve always had an affinity for the right side of my brain.  I trace this favoritism way back when I was a tiny 2nd grader with an inspiring teacher and a wild imagination.  I mean I apologize to the left half of my brain, but words have always been kind to me and numbers a little cruel.

An honors student, I often find myself caught in the same, monotonous, junior schedule: school, homework, sleep.  I sometimes feel so caught up in my schoolwork that I don’t set enough time aside to use my creativity…and I miss it.  I miss stringing together a few phrases and watching in wonderment how one word can make all the difference.  I miss writing a piece that reflects my opinion in a way that does not have to be backed by three concrete examples in order to get a good grade.  I miss employing my creativity to its maximum potential, reading a finished piece with satisfaction knowing that I wrote it to the best of my ability.  My answer to the common “favorite hobby” question has always been writing, ever since those young 2nd grade years and I am determined to satisfy my passion and cherish my ability for as long as I possibly can.

There is a part of me that makes me unique from most teenagers.  I was diagnosed with type one diabetes eight years ago tomorrow, an event that changed my entire life.  Although I can no longer imagine my life before the diagnosis, I still see the difference between my life and the life of someone with a dutiful pancreas.  Those people do not have to test their blood sugar ten times a day, receive a shot every two days or wait thirty minutes before they can eat breakfast.  They do not have to consciously monitor carbohydrates during a stress-eat session.  They do not have to suffer through insensitive comments when someone relates the story of their great-grandfather who became blind because of this disease.  Diabetes does not facilitate my life with its immature and selfish constant need for attention.  However, this diagnosis has made me into a more understanding and courageous person who would not trade these strengths for the world.

Oh and by the way, I use wayyyyy less parentheses now than I did three years ago. J

4 comments: