Thursday, July 14, 2011

The (LOW)-Down of My Life

I wouldn’t say I’m a shopaholic, but like any other girl I could definitely use a trip to the mall.  Today my trip took me to the local shopping center where my mom, my sister, and I went bathing suit shopping.  While we went shopping for clothes, my blood sugar went shopping for some sugar.  I was low almost five times during this trip, constantly telling my mom that I had to test once again.  Something about shopping makes my numbers drop. 
Although I am writing about this now like it’s a bad thing, I know that my decision between being high and low is an easy one (although, to be right in the middle would be perfect…but then, I wouldn’t have diabetes.  Thinking about that now sounds really nice, doesn’t it?).  When my blood sugar is high, I’m crabby (I admit it; I certainly am not the sweetest candy in the jar).  I am thirsty and constantly having to go to the bathroom because of the water (pleasant, huh?).  I usually get headaches when my blood sugar is over 250 which of course adds to the fun (sarcasm).  When I’m low, I am a lot nicer, happier and hungrier.  Today, after all my lows and before dinner, I was absolutely famished.  I don’t know for sure if it was because of all the 50s and 60s today, but it’s a pretty good guess and I’m usually right about my guesses J (just kidding, I’m never right!).  Sometimes when I am very low my hands shake a little and I start sweating like a pig (okay, not really like a pig…more like a diabetic who has reached 30 or 40).  The way I mostly define my lows is by a weird feeling in my legs.  I used to tell people that they started to feel numb, but I don’t think that is what I am feeling anymore.  It’s just unexplainable and strange.

So now that I have defined what highs and lows feel like to me, I feel like writing about something else.  How about I write about one of my all-time favorite stories concerning my diabetes?  This story is set in the MPR (multi-purpose room) of my old school where a couple classes were crowded in to do who knows what.  I was sitting down with my friends feeling that strange sensation in my legs that I recognized as feeling low.  So, I pulled out my trusty glucose meter and pricked my finger, suddenly hearing some noise behind me, something that sounded a lot like, “Ewwwww!”  I looked through my peripheral vision behind me and saw a group of older boys smirking and laughing in my direction.  I immediately knew that the disgust I saw in the boys’ eyes was coming from the blood I was pulling from my finger.  Being the sweet and innocent girl I am, I did what any 10 year old girl would do; I squeezed my finger harder, gushing way more blood than needed just for the fun of it.  I could hear the chorus of disgust from the idiotic boys behind me grow louder and louder.  And I, a big smart alec, laughed in delight.

Another story that gives me quite pleasure to tell (sarcasm), all starts at school again, involving one of my teachers who I was not a fan of after this event.  For a reason I don’t even remember, a mother in my class brought all the students a bunch of treats and candy.  And although I have made it clear to many people (including the people on this blog J) that I can eat candy, the mom brought me sugar-free crap (excuse the bad language).  Not only does sugar-free candy have loads of sugar-alcohols that would have made me sit on the toilet all night (that’s a nasty thought, huh?...sorry!).  But sugar-free treats is a knockoff of the real stuff, WHICH I CAN EAT!!!  I decided I would just tell the teacher who passed out the treats that I did not need, let alone want, the “special” candy.  So I told her, and guess what she did?  She took me outside and told me this, “Can you just take the candy?  I don’t want the mom to feel bad.”

……………………

……………………

……………………

(cricket cricket)

Can you seriously believe that a teacher would tell me to take candy that tasted like crap (there’s that naughty word again!) just so a mom who assumed I couldn’t eat candy wouldn’t feel bad?  REALLY?!  ARE YOU SERIOUSLY KIDDING ME?!  I cringe while I type this, reliving the wrongness of it all.  That’s all I am going to say for now because it could get pretty nasty if I continue.  J

So as you can tell, us diabetics share some lovely stories (cringing in disgust the whole time they speak of them).  I cannot tell you how much these stories irritate me, but I feel good to share them.  So thanks to the people who read this blog and let me vent.  Everyone needs to vent sometime or another.  Diabetics--we need to vent just a little bit more.

4 comments:

  1. Some people will never get it. Some people try to get it, and some people understand sort of. We who love you are learning all the time. Thank you for helping us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! Thanks so much! You don't know how much it means to me that you are reading my blog everyday and always trying to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you had these unfortunate experiences. Although the experiences are undeniably unpleasant these type of things will make you a stronger person and who knows, you might teach them something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully I can teach them something! Thank you soo much! And although they are unpleasant, they make for great stories to write about on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete