Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Sam

Today, out of nowhere, I was taken out of my cage, knowing not at all as to what was happening.  I was locked into a new habitat that rested right next to my parents scary and terrifying chihuahua/pug named Abby.  She taunted me the whole car ride with her sleep, her peaceful and silent sleep, for I was afraid she would wake up at a moment’s notice and attack me.  Where were we going, I terrifyingly pondered.  What is going on? 
I am a handsome green parrot.  I am on an unknown adventure.  I am Sam.

The car stopped, and the dog woke up.  I messed in my cage (despicable!) and was eventually carried out of the car into a vaguely familiar house.  What am I doing here, my parrot mind wondered.  Where did we go?  What did I do this time?  I had all these questions in my brain that fumbled away from me once I entered the house and saw another dog.  This dog was even scarier, with her black coat and schnoodle (schnauzer/poodle) body.  She barked at me, and twirled around my dad’s feet, probably trying to take him down, so she could get to me.  She knew I was the overall threat.  That’s one smart animal, I decided.  But she won’t fool me!  The twirling and barking continued and I didn’t think I could take it anymore.  They put my cage up on some strange table, and left it there for a while.  I can get out of here if I try, I thought, trying to devise some sort of plan.  Don’t fail me, parrot brain, for we can do this if we try.  And then, I remembered my trusty pal, the little engine that could. 

Thomas the Train, if I can somehow escape my fate and open this cage, I will have you to thank.  It was then, sitting in my cage, atop this strange table in a strange home with strange people, did I start my optimistic chant.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can…  I continued saying these three words, praying to get out of there, praying for some help.  And when help came, I was stunned.  Thank you old friend!  Thank you, Thomas!  It worked!  The cage opened, and I couldn’t believe my senses as I climbed out.  I grabbed hold of a wooden bar that had magically appeared for me outside of my cage.  The wood felt rough against my claws and I held on with a vengeance.  I will get back at the people who brought me here.  I will!  And then, just as my anger was reaching a boiling point, I realized that my father was the one holding the bar and I was just merely being transferred from a tiny carrying cage, to a more suitable one for the guy I am. 

Although I was being raised to first class rooms, I was not happy, and kept thinking of that little train that could, that little train that was always so optimistic.  I can get out of here, too!  I could be like, Sam the Bird, the little parrot that could!  Or Bird, James Bird!  As soon as I thought that I could be as studly as James Bond, I was hooked, and I knew that I must get out, that I must do it fast.  But how?  With all of these people around?  I knew that the people were just as good of predators as anyone, however I knew the big problem was the dogs.  Abby, so sure of herself and not scared of me, just waltzed around like she wasn’t terrified of the new place either.  Therefore, I saw her as a huge threat.  I mean, we have been living in the same house for a while, but that doesn’t mean my terror would just automatically cease.  The other conflict in this Bond story of mine is the black dog, despicably named Lucy.  She terrified me with her happiness, her energy, her irresistible face.  I knew that all three of these reasons were why she turned me on, why she made my feathers turn red in embarrassment.  How could this be?  How could a dog, let alone the one that is trying to ruin my life, be the woman of my dreams?  I love every part about her: her bark, her pant, her run, her play, her personality.  How in the world could I, a cage-sitting, green-feathered, hazel-eyed, long-clawed, untrimmed-beak parrot, fall in serious LOVE with a female named Lucy?  Love was hitting me that day, and it was hitting me hard. 


That was the beginning of Sam’s adventure to Erin Marie’s house.  Will he ever get home?  Will he ever become James Bird?  But most of all, will Sam, a sad and lonely green parrot, ever find love with Lucy, the mystifying black schnoodle?

4 comments:

  1. Love It!! You should write a while bunch I stories about Sam and Lucy. When Sam leaves then you probably will have to stop but, it was awesome! Does Lucy love Sam back????????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! I could imagine the bachelor party with Sam's friends flying all over the place. It would be crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHAHA! Thanks to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very cool story. Has Lucy ever tried to get on the table where Sam is?

    ReplyDelete