Saturday, July 16, 2011

Movies N' Things (Get it? Like Linens N' Things!)

Everyone has heard of Harry Potter: the young (well, not so young anymore) wizard that rules Hogwarts and tries to defeat you-know-who (if you don’t know who you-know-who is, well, it’s Voldemort.  There, now you know).  Today I watched the new Harry Potter movie and absolutely loved it.  I never read any of the books meaning that I don’t understand any part of it, although they are very entertaining with their action, comedy and romance.  What can I say, I’m an old romantic softy at heart and “love” a good love story.

While we are on the topic of movies, I would like to address the difficulty of testing your blood sugar in the dark of a movie theater.  Today, I ran to the bathroom in the middle of my flick and felt that sensation in my legs when I got up (that’s another problem of sitting in the movies: sometimes I can’t tell if and when I am low sitting down for almost two hours).  So anyway, when I came back I got out my kit and began to get everything ready.  To make testing in the dark easier, I have a little light attached to my kit that I can use.  The problem is how bright that light shines, which should be good, except for the fact that I don’t really want to distract people’s eyes from the movie to me.  Most movies, I just use the dang thing out of ease.  However, there are some serious people watching these Harry Potter movies that really get into it and I sure don’t want to offend them.  So today I attempted it in the plain dark.  I mean, I should be able to complete a simple blood sugar test without looking since I’ve tested about 10-12 times per day for about four years.  Even despite this statistic, it was extremely hard to make sure I had enough blood for the test strip.  I didn’t at first and the meter errored.  I wonder what my mom and I looked like as we were staring at the little screen of Lola (see Diabetes Terminology) waiting for a number that was never going to pop up.  Eventually, we realized the darn thing didn’t get enough blood and I had to get another strip put in.  So I did, and it was a little bit easier because I used the light on my insulin pump which has a much dimmer light.  Although it was easier than testing in utter darkness, plainly testing in a movie theater is no easy task no matter what.  I just couldn’t find the place where I was supposed to put my blood.  Heck, I didn’t even know if any blood came out!  It was very difficult, but good I did because I ended up testing 60.  I had a smarty, which made all the hassle worth it (and the fact that I didn’t faint!  Victory!). 
Another place that is a hard environment to test in is at school.  I don’t mind testing in front of my friends, but I don’t want to direct extra attention to me with a blood glucose check in the middle of a lesson.  So far, I have done very well doing a quick level test under my desk, however it is not the ideal way to find out my blood sugar.  That’s just something us diabetics have to go through, like it or not (I’m going to go with not J).

What I have gotten very good at is sneaking a glucose tab into my mouth during class, sucking it without moving my mouth,“sugaring” up when I am low.  But now, ever since I got my braces off and am wearing a retainer, it is much more difficult.  Before, all I had to do was pop the sugar right into my mouth.  But now, I have to take out my retainer and then pop the sugar, all the while, making sure not to drop my retainer on the ground.  GROSS!  I haven’t even mentioned my germaphobe personality before on this blog.  Well, now you know.  I used to wash my hands until they bled.  Yeah, it was pretty bad.  But, I’m a lot better now!  I put on lots of lotion and only wash my hands when needed!  Yay me!  I’m slowly but surely getting better!

Today, I didn’t know if I was going to blog.  I went to the movie, dinner, then Target to do a little shopping.  It was later than usual when I got back and I figured I could just write tomorrow.  But this morning, I saw that I had a person from England reading my blog!  My own writing made it overseas!  I just want to thank that person from England, along with my friends here, and my family.  You make this blog worthwhile, meaningful and overall SUPER FUN for me.
Got writing?

3 comments:

  1. I thought you were not going to blog yesterday, since I checked a little after 9 last night. Glad you did. I look forward to your blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Yeah, I blogged pretty late last night; I was sucked into a movie where a little boy was held for ransom! SCARY! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a problem. You should see if you can get a flashlight with a red light or at least a red lense. That is what pilots use in the dark and it doesn't bother the eyes. Maybe that will help the next time you are in the movie or at in other venues that require darkness.

    ReplyDelete