Friday, July 8, 2011

Me and My Migraines... We Do Not Get Along

Migraine.  I had the worst migraine today, making my enjoyable pool game at Bigshots and Billiards not so, well, enjoyable.  It plainly stunk.  Migraines to me are explained simply by that. 

The actual definition of a migraine can be found by going to the following:


My definition of a migraine is the following:

An annoying feeling in the brain in which the victim believes that the inside of their head is flipped upside down in not just an uncomfortable way, but in an unbearable way.

Ya, they stink.

So I was stuck with one of those unbearable migraines today.  Yay for me.  When I got up this morning I didn’t have one.  I’m thinking maybe the 6.7 mile run I completed in the morning might have done the trick.  Usually I only do 3 miles however these past two days, I went a little crazy I guess.  On Thursday my family and I hiked up the Bump N’ Grind mountain (interesting name, huh?) in Palm Springs (we left that afternoon).  Starting the climb, my blood sugar (see Diabetes Terminology post) was at 180…ish.  So I left it as it was, thinking that hopefully my blood sugar would just gradually come down, just like the mountain after we reached the top.  Well, I was wrong about two things: my blood sugar did not come down (in fact I did a site change {see Diabetes Terminology post} after, believing that it was taxed) and the hike down to our car was not gradual either.  It wasn’t gradual at all.  Surprisingly, it was easier to descend when there were more rocks (they gave more leverage), than when all that was there was the slippery sand.  It was an extremely thin path, with a big fall and hard rocks just one misstep away.  But guess what?  I survived!  And you know that because I’m writing this blog!  Wooohooo!  Anyway, it wasn’t that bad of a hike.  In fact it had gorgeous scenery and was worth the sweat.

So today, we ran from a nearby high school to a park 6.7 miles away.  It was a flat run, no hills (Yes!) and a beautiful river next to it, but it was long.  Very long.  And at some points pretty boring.  But, you don’t know what kind of accomplishment you feel from doing something like that.  And so far, I’m not sore, which is a good sign.  Again, for some random reason, I started at like 180 again.  Why?  I will never know…ask my pancreas (see Diabetes Terminology).  Thinking that my blood sugar would not come down like what happened at Bump N Grind, I only took a glucose tab.  Which was not enough to cover this long run.  I had to take two others in the midst of the exercise.  No big deal.  Who doesn’t want to eat 8 grams of delicious sugar while you are in the middle of a jog?  So I did.  And it was very yummy.  See, this blog helped me find at least one of the rare pluses to diabetes.  Sometimes, a forced sugar intake is needed, which is something some people don’t understand.  Some say that diabetics can’t eat sugar, when sometimes sugar is needed for me to get my blood sugar back in line.  That’s where most of my frustration comes from.  Many people just assume, assume, assume.  They don’t know what they are talking about when they tell me that I can’t eat a candy bar or sucker down some skittles.  I would rather people ask me questions about my diabetes than just guess they know what’s right for me.  All I can do is educate…which is part of the reason I am here.


3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I learned a little bit about diabetes, which was very interesting. A 6.7 mile run! That's huge! You got off the subject of migraines though.... but was still good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, the run WAS huge and that's why I am not running today! I know, I got a little off topic, but boy, that was harsh! I'm totally kidding! :) Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A 6.7 mile run is amazing! how long did it take you?

    ReplyDelete