Sunday, July 17, 2011

Soccer and Scrambled Eggs? A Tough Day for Both

Okay, so today was a letdown for the U.S.A. soccer team playing in the World Cup finals.  They lost.  After watching almost four hours of the game, and for the result to be a big fat loss, I was pretty angered.  It was a great game though.  It started off with U.S.A. getting a beautiful goal, followed by a Japan goal, a U.S.A., and then another Japan.  After a 30 minute overtime, the score was 2-2.  That was when my darn TV failed me.  We were watching the game as a recording because at 11:00, when the game began, we were cleaning our house (which now looks sparkling clean!).  My sister, expecting that overtime may be held, set the TV to record the program and one hour after.  Well, apparently one hour extra was not enough because right before the shoot out began, the one hour ran out and it and didn’t record the most important part of the game.  Why, out of all the things I have recorded, did you fail me now, TV?  Why?  We were lucky enough to realize the channel that the soccer game was on was the same one that was playing on our TV while we were watching the recording.  Thankfully, that meant that all we had to do was rewind the channel to see who had won.  And I was devastated.  I totally thought that U.S.A. was going to win; I thought that they had it in the bag.  But I was wrong!  And like I said in one of my previous posts, I’m wrong a lot!  Darn!  I guess they have two years from now to redeem themselves, however they made me really disappointed today…

So as you might realize from my devotion to the World Cup soccer, I am a soccer player.  Actually, tomorrow I am going to attend an AYSO soccer camp that will be run by people from the United Kingdom. These camps are so much fun and I love doing them every summer.  It is one week long and probably the best camp I have ever attended.

So, now that I got the soccer topic out of my system, I want to talk about my diabetic Sunday high.  Every Sunday, for as long as I can remember, my blood sugar rises at around 3:00 pm.  At first, I could not figure out why it was that my levels always were high every week.  Without understanding why I had to, I put on a temporarily higher basal (a basal is a continuous dose of insulin Lola gives me).  Then, the Gods spoke to me in my sleep (just kidding, they didn’t).  We finally figured out what the problem was after a long time of thinking my body was just being strange (okay, we didn’t figure it out like right now, but a couple years ago).  What we realized was that the scrambled eggs I ate every Sunday were raising my blood sugar a couple hours later.  Scrambled eggs are a difficult kind of thing to give insulin for because they technically don’t have any carbs (the measurement I base my insulin doses on), however they raise my numbers later.  Strange, huh?  It sure is, especially when we all thought that my body was just trying to tell time.

7 comments:

  1. thats what they call an aha moment. Didn't see the world cup, but I guess there is always next Year. O thats right its a couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds weird about the scrambled eggs. I never eat the cuz I HATE THEM!!!! In my mind they're the worst thing ever made! Well I hope you have fun with your soccer camp! I play soccer sometimes but I don't like camps. I had to go to one cuz I was gonna be goalie and my coach wanted me to be really good, so I went and was BORED! My team came in second in the championship or whatever and we went to regionals and won once, and lost like three times :'(. I was also surprised that USA lost two. I didn't watch it cuz I sortve knew we would lose, I don't know how though .... Have fun at your UK camp!

    ReplyDelete
  3. JP, That was a total aha moment, and in two years you better watch it! :)

    Darren, That stinks you don't like soccer camps! Next time you should try the one I do! It is a blast! And I can't believe you don't like scrambled eggs!!! :(

    BTW, sorry you lost three games in the regionals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was ok though, my team was completely unorganised so I was VERY surprised we made it that far.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely missed the soccer game. What I have seen on TV shows I missed a good game. It is sad only one team can win (I would have preferred the winner to be the USA) but it was not their year.

    The eggs causing your high is interesting. I would have never thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see the game cause I was busy. That is so weird about the eggs because if they don't have and carbs how can they raise your number. hmmm????

    ReplyDelete