Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Bees, Bad Blood Sugars and Bears--Oh My!

Today I was not attacked by a shark on my run, no Jaws music needed this morning.  I was free of stray mountain lions creeping up behind me, prowling around for a breakfast.  No banana peels left in my way to slip on.  Nothing of that sort was part of my problem today.  Instead, my blood sugar numbers flip flopped from high to low, ALL DAY.  It was so annoying, waking up in the morning high, ending the afternoon low.  But that wasn’t all.  I was also scared by bees on my run.  Very, very scared.

Let’s start from the beginning of today.  This morning I woke up, at 8:00 instead of 7, ready to run.  I descended down the stairs, still in my PJ’s, still a little groggy.  You can imagine my annoyance, my frustration, when my darn diabetes gave me a 254 blood glucose.  With a number like the one I had, it was time to tie up my shoes and head out the door.  Before I did though, my mom and I did a site change, ridding my body of the old one that apparently was done with working.  Gosh, wouldn’t that be so nice?  To live a grand ole life not having to work, only dusting off your briefcase when you want to?  Sounds to me that everything involved with type 1 has that luxury: my sites, my pancreas, all of it.  And it is so frustrating.

Out the door we went, my mom, sister and I.  Thank goodness my sister started the run with us.  I couldn’t have taken another Jaws horror story.  But I did have a Killer Bees horror story (I will admit that I just looked up that movie right now…  I’ve never even heard of it before…  But it looks super creepy!).  As I was climbing the second hill, a long but semi-gentle slope, I noticed lots of bees crowding around the untrimmed bushes.  These bushes needed cutting.  They stretched out all the way to the part of the sidewalk where I was running, making me have to brush by them, and the bees.  I was growing sick of constantly being poked by the out-growing plantation.  Because of this, I whacked my arm, with all my might, right on the bush next to me.  A hard slam.  A slam to which made all the bees angry.  But I was ready for them.

I started punching them with my bare fists, smacking them down one by one.  When a little runt bee landed on my hand I squashed him like a grape with my fingers.  Easy.  But then the queen bee flew forward, right into my face, like she was trying to intimidate me with her overgrown butt.  It wasn’t going to work on me.

She started vibrating her stinger, revving it up like a racecar ready to win.  But she wasn’t going to win.  I was.  I pulled the tubing out of my pump, disconnected it from my new site, and swung it around like a lasso.  Then, I-----

Low Blood Sugar!
Just kidding!  None of that happened!  All that happened in my Killer Bees experience was that a bee landed plop right on my nose.  No stinging, no biting (do bees bite?).  Nothing but a landing and a takeoff.  It was really strange though, because the bee felt wet on my schnauzola when it landed.  But when I touched the place after it left, it felt dry as usual.  Strange.
High Blood Sugar!

So other than my traumatic experience with the bee, my day was pretty normal.  Relaxing on the couch, playing wii.  The usual.  The only other thing weird was that after my SECOND site change in ONE day, I was low.  I must’ve had like 20 glucose tabs and 40 smarties today.  Quite the low day, which is very annoying since I started high and had to take a 13 millimeter shot not once, but twice.  Very, very frustrating.  You never know what surprises might come your way when you’re a type 1.  They always sneak-attack you. 

Darn.  Now I’m real itchy thinking about that bee.  Ugh.  I hope I can have bee-free dreams tonight.  Hope with me I won’t.  Hope with me, please.

2 comments:

  1. loved the bee story. You should sell the rights to the movie. Hope your numbers co-operate better today. tata

    ReplyDelete