Tuesday, August 30, 2011

What If...

What would our planet Earth be like if every person, every male and female, every dog and cat, every bird and worm, had diabetes?  I don’t know.  But here’s my guess:

Girls in love would leave behind the typical hair twirling.  Instead, they would pull out the tubing connected to their pump, and give it a good, old modern-day twirl.  Around and around and around, the tubing would be absent-mindedly wrapped around the finger of the one in love.  The boy is not sure if he loves the tubing twirler or the button-pusher (I’m not talking about a rule-bender…  I’m talking about a shy type 1 whose only way to cope with her nervousness about the boy she has a crush on is to push all the buttons on her pump).  Who will he pick?  How will he pick?  Ding.  The light bulb goes off and he realizes how he’s going to choose: whatever girl was fastest at filling up a reservoir (the insulin carrier inside of a pump).  And when he tells the tubing twirler that he chose her just because of her expert no-bubble reservoirs, she will squirt him in the eye with insulin.  She doesn’t want a guy who will just mooch off her skills.  Nope.  And when the guy tells the button-pusher that he chose her now, she just plainly slaps him in the face, old school.  She’s no one’s second choice.

 If the world was filled with type 1’s, friends would borrow alcohol wipes, test strips.  They would gossip about _____who has the biggest callus on her fingers than anyone in the school.  Oh how all the girls look up to _____, the girl with the calluses.  Everyone wishes they were her.

Mornings would be hectic, site changes being completed, pre-boluses performed.  Medical IDs would be the new status symbol.  Dates would consist of eating dinner at a fancy restaurant, giving each other a shot.  Romantic?  Totally.

And hopefully if everyone in the world had diabetes, a cure would be number 1 priority in scientists’ minds.  But who knows?  There still would be life-threatening diseases in the world.  The good thing about diabetes is it’s not a death sentence anymore.  Phew.  Because if that was the case, then there would be no Erin to type up this blog, or any others for that matter.  Wouldn’t want that to happen, now would we? J

4 comments:

  1. Your blog will have me thinking all day. It is an interesting take on a serious subject. By the way can I borrow an alcohl swab?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be interesting if everyone was a Type 1. The part I liked was that diebetes would become the number priority for the scientist. You have a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you come up with that? I would never have thought up that scenario. I like how you put insert lines instead of a name, I'm guessing it was your name that was meant to be on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehehe! You guys seriously have me laughing out loud!

    Sure, JP, I'll give you an alcohol swab. I have plenty to share.

    I completely agree with you GP. That's my favorite part, too.

    And thanks Darren! I have been thinking about what it would be like if everyone was a Type 1 for a while now. It just occured to me yesterday that I could write a blog about it! :)

    ReplyDelete