Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Professor Erin Marie is in the House!

I feel like there’s so many things I need to do, so many things I want to do, but there’s just not enough time in the day.  I woke up, read a lot (I have to finish that darn book!), showered, munched on some lunch (I’m a poet who didn’t know it!), drove over to my volleyball camp, stayed there for three hours, ran some errands (my shower rod fell on me in the middle of my scrubbing!  L  We needed a new one!), came home, tried the new shower curtain, rod, and liner (the liner didn’t fit.  Gosh darn liner!), completed a site change, ate dinner, turned on the laptop, sat down and wrote what I’m writing now.  Good thing I wasn’t saying all of that aloud or else I would be heaving for air.
I was surprised, completely shocked, that I had a whole day free of the girl’s (from yesterday’s blog) annoying comments.  Completely and full-blown stunned.  It was nice.  In fact, during snack we were all sitting there when the girl’s friend asked me what type 1 was.  I was thankful she wasn’t going to give in to the usual assuming mentality like most do.  I answered her with my usual spiel, my memorized speech that was sitting on my tongue, ready to be said.  As I was testing my blood sugar, the younger sister in the group was closing her eyes, covering her ears.  Sorry I offend you so much, I muttered to myself.  I told her that I was finished, like she wanted me too, after I put the blood on the strip and the number 142 popped up on the screen.  Pretty good, I told myself.  I took away .4 units of the total bolus (and it worked!  I was a whopping 116 after the camp!  Go Erin!  …who’s speaking in the third person!  …which is kind of weird!  …now I’m going to stop!).

Turns out, that one question from the friend turned into a full-on lesson about diabetes.  I didn’t mind one bit.  In fact, I kind of like all the attention, knowing more about something than everybody else in the room.  I answered each question, and I reassured them many of times (when they had wary looks on their face as if it was okay to ask so many preguntas {Spanish for questions!}) that it was perfectly fine with me.

“I’d so much rather people ask me questions about my type 1 than to just assume,” I added.

This next thing I said probably wasn’t one of the smartest things I’ve spoken, definitely not the nicest, but very true.

“There has been so many times where parents and kids will bring treats for all of the students, treats for birthdays, treats for who-knows-what.  They will pass them out to every single kid in my row, but me.  They just skip over me, just assume I can’t have one.”  Here is where I look over at the girl, check her face to see if she has any remembrance.  The reason that it wasn’t so smart to bring this up is because the girl’s mom and she were one of these people.  The ones who just skipped over me.  Her face was blank, nothing on it to make me think she knew I was directing that right at her.  I barely got away with that one.  Thank goodness.  I skimmed the other faces and was actually very grateful that the friend’s face looked disgusted that someone would do that.  Just skip someone over like that, not even ask if they can partake in the celebration.  Just shows how messed up this world has gotten, doesn’t it? L

 I was happy I was granted the chance of educating just three more brains in the world.  When the sister asked, “Which one is easier, Type 1 or Type 2?  Type 1, right?”

I replied, “Oh gosh no.  No, no, no, no, no.  Type 2 is way easier.  I wish mine were as simple as the other one, but it’s certainly not.”

And when I informed them that I see an endocrinologist every three months, they all breathed a big sigh of relief.

“We thought you went every week,” the little sister said with a disturbed look displayed on her face.

“Nope, but they are almost four hours long,” I exaggerated just to see all of their eyes get huge.  It kind of amuses me, see them get so shocked, which sounds really mean…  Scratch that part.  J 

So it was a productive day for Erin Marie (there’s that third-person talk again!)  Me going to watch some TV now, recharge me brain.  Goodbye and…

See you later alligators!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you educated a few people. I happy you had a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might consider going out and giving talks for Type 1 Diebetes. You are a natural and I think it will help a lot of people understand.

    ReplyDelete