Friday, August 26, 2011

Dirty Feet

Summer’s amazing.  Days filled with nothing but…  Um…  Nothing.  Relaxation to the next level.  You can go to bed whenever to feel like it, sleep in until lunch (which I’ve never done).  You can do whatever you want, anything you desire.  But even summer has its downfalls.

#1:  Dirty feet.  Ugh.  I hate it.  You typically wear flip flops in the summer, no socks.  All that means is that your feet are covered with black dirt (okay, not really black…  That’s a bit of an exaggeration).  I’m constantly thrusting a paper towel underneath the sink, rubbing it on the soles of my feet.  In the school year, I typically wear my converse.  I wear my sandals a lot in the fall and spring, but never in the winter.  My feet would get numb in a second.  I get cold very easily.

Numero dos:  It’s too short.  We need another month.  3 months is not enough time to recharge your brain from school, not enough time to do absolutely nothing.  And if you do fun things every day, it’s even shorter.  And if you think about it, summer is not even three months.  More like 2 and half…ish.  (Pouty face)  I’m not ready for school time, not one bit.  But you can’t stop time.  Who knows what I’d do if I could halt the days as they go by.

Letter C:  Summer has absolutely zippo organization.  Sometimes that’s a good thing, but overall, it’s nice to know what time you’re waking up, what time you’re leaving for school, what time you’re putting your head on the pillow to sleep at night.  It’s also good to know what day of the week it is, which is something I never know in July and August.  It helps to have some kind of idea what the date is…  Just something that may be important, just maybe. J

But you know what good comes out of school?  Stories.  Entertaining stories that will give this blog some uuummpphh.  Some fun stories about ignorant, mean, no-thinking-before-speaking people.  But there will be some good stories too.  There always are, they are just not as fun to write about. J

I remember in fourth grade this super nice girl asked me how I did it.  Kept up the good grades with my diabetes.  It was really nice, really refreshing to hear something like that.  I mean, I don’t want pity from other LUCKIER people (just kidding!), but sometimes it’s cool just to be recognized for all the crap I have to deal with.  As I’m getting older, I’m getting more frustrated.  Every time there’s a high number, I get just so dang angry.  I hate doing site changes (not sure anyone would J), and having to figure out the carbs of the food before I eat it.  I can’t just grab a couple crackers whenever I feel like it, can’t just eat some grapes because I feel like it.  I have to test my blood sugar, bolus for it, and then eat it.  And if I’m high, like I was today, I either have to choose not to have it at all or choose something a little lower carb.  But I’m not just here to complain…  Or maybe I am…  Your call.

There have been plenty others of good stories in my diabetic “career”.  The bad just stand out, like in anything.  You barely remember your heartwarming memories.  Sad, huh?  That’s just how our brain works.  So we all just have to deal with it.  Stinks, huh?

2 comments:

  1. I am not in school, but I hate to see the summer over also. For some reason June, July and August go awfully fast. You still have a little time, make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will make the most of it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete