Monday, August 29, 2011

Splat Goes Erin

Ow.  After a big fall, after flying through the air, after landing on hard, freshly cut grass, ow was all I could say.  And I tried not to cry, hold back the tears, as a big sting shot through my body and paused at the two hurting spots.  My left elbow and hip.  Ow.

The hip injury hurts the most, just stinging, but really it is nothing big.  Just one of those rug (or grass) burns that scream pain.  It was a scrimmage my coach put together at the end of our practice with the Plus team (the more elite team of our league [elite this year meaning anyone who tried out because not enough players wanted it]).  They are a bruiser team, one that is very pushy, shovey, and trippy.  We started the game and not long after I was on a fast break.  Then…  splat.  I was tripped.  By one of my friends on the foe team.  It was not her fault at all.  She didn’t do it on purpose.  But it hurt like (insert word of your choice).  And it took a lot of strength for me to not cry, because I was in, well, some pain.  I barely did though, which I’m proud of.  I need to seem strong on the outside.  This is the part where I’m supposed to say that the reason I found the strength to get back up was to be a leader for my team.  Be the tough one.  Well, I will tell you that I only did it because I have a reputation (that doesn’t exist).  And I certainly could not tarnish that (invisible rep) by being sprawled out on the grass crying my eyes out.  Nope.  Got to look cool (never going to happen…  Really no desire).

And then we lost.  2-0.  I really wanted to beat that team, more than any other team that’s out there.  That’s because I was on the Plus team, I could’ve been on it again.  But I chose not to try out again because I wasn’t entirely thrilled with the coach.  I guess I just wanted to beat them to ensure my decision.  But I’m pretty sure I did the right thing.  My new coach is super nice, the girls are just as sweet, and I just plainly love playing soccer.  And that’s just it.  It doesn’t matter what team I’m on, what girls I’m playing with, I’m just happy to be doing the sport I love.  That totally sounded like it was cut right out of a cheesy Disney film.  Eh, what can I say?  Cheesy Disney films are my specialty.

4 comments:

  1. I am proud of you. You are a tough girl. Sorry you did not win, but there is always next time, or you didn't lose, you just ran out of time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ever gotten to hurt while playing a real soccer game, but once at school I stepped on a soccer ball and got the wind knocked out of me for a few minutes. I have fallen while playing soccer a lot though, but they didn't hurt because I'm good at falling. Last week while I was mountain biking I fell on pavers, cement blocks with holes used for improving turns, and rolled and it didn't hurt at all! They guy that was trying to pas me complemented me on my fall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make your family very proud of you - Every Day. You are a good soccer player. Are you sure the coach from the other team didn't ask his players to take you out. It has happened before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! Thanks, guys.



    By the way, great fall, Darren!

    ReplyDelete