Tuesday, August 2, 2011

(Cringe, Cringe)

One big, modern family!
Even my favorite shows have said things about diabetes that were packed to the rim with wrong information.  Modern Family, a hilarious TV show that my family loves to watch, had a scene where a girl with diabetes supposedly could not eat ice cream, even though in truth, diabetics can eat just as much ice cream as the next person.  This is another show to which I NEVER liked titled Jonas where diabetes was brought up.  A teenage girl who was in love with Nick Jonas, someone who has Type 1 Diabetes, said, “I always dreamt Nick smelled like chocolate chip cookies!  Sugar free, of course!”  There, right there was that tiny implication that diabetics like Nick or myself could not eat the regular, yummy chocolate chip cookies, for we can only munch on sugar-free.  Not true!  What always bugged me the most about this is that Nick just let the girl say her line and falsely inform young kids about type 1, instead of telling the writers the truth.  That part is what makes me the most angry.  But this, this TV episode that I’m about to share is the one that makes me the most irritated.  Here it goes…

Hannah Montana.  I already wasn’t a huge fan of this show, however after this episode I am going to share, I couldn’t stand it.  The episode was all about how Oliver was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.  The show opens with Oliver falling down the stairs in his school.  The writers are trying to show that his blood sugar was so low, he couldn’t stay upright.  Really?  I’m going to crash and burn every time I reach a 60 number?  Not true, very dramatic, and extremely insulting.  Because of Oliver’s fall down the stairs, Miley and Lilly think he is “falling” in love.  They continually ask him who the girl is, causing Oliver to rush out of the lunchroom in a huff.  Later, the two girls spy on Oliver who brings a box of chocolates to the school nurse.  This of course indicates that because of his diabetes, Oliver can no longer eat candy, when in fact chocolate is, well I don’t know, SOMETHING DIABETICS CAN EAT!  But these idiot Disney writers have absolutely no idea what it is they are writing about, and decide to teach children things that are certainly not true.  Am I crazy to think that it is completely WRONG to make all of the children at school think I can’t eat anything?!  That was a rhetorical question because I know I am RIGHT!  I get annoyed with my friends who think they have to give me special treats at their birthday parties, but the people I should really be displaying my frustration with are the writers and the producers and the directors who put all of this crap out there in the world (sorry for the bad word…just really into this right now J).
What's the secret?
Miley and Lilly now believe that Oliver’s “girl” is the old school nurse.  They confront the nurse, displaying their disgust, when the woman finally realizes that Oliver has not yet told them of his new “disease” (it’s in quotes because his “disease” is fictitious {saw this word on a Souplantation coupon!} and magically disappeared in the later episodes).  The teens are confused that Oliver did not tell them of his new type 1 and show their concern with overacting and fake feelings.  Miley is so “concerned” about her friend that she reads a diabetes pamphlet cover to cover, with an ice cream bowl in hand.  “This says that if Oliver diets and exercises, he can live a normal life,” Miley tells her father.  Ooohh, wow!  Miley must have slipped her lines considering the fact that diet and exercise is for Type 2 Diabetes, not Type 1!  “I could totally keep Oliver away from sugar,” Miley says, with a big, old spoonful of ice cream in her mouth.  Classy?!  I don’t think so.  Her father nods sarcastically, implying that #1 Oliver can’t eat sugar (if he really had type 1 he would be able to!).  #2 Robby Ray thinks his own daughter is a pig who just LOVES ice cream and sugar and all the things diabetics apparently can’t eat.  Whatever.  (I’m really heated right now!)
To get Oliver’s mind off his new “disease”, to which he still hasn’t told Miley and Lilly about yet, Miley asked him to come to a party that Hannah Montana was invited to.  They walk into the party and are stared down by cookies, cupcakes, brownies, red vines galore.  Oh no, I sarcastically think.  Oliver can’t have any of this.  I’m being sarcastic because me, a true to heart diabetic, would eat every single one of those things.  Because I can!  Every time Oliver tries to eat something, the girls knock it away from him, truly believing that he cannot have it.  At the end of the episode, one good message was told.  Oliver told them that he can eat candy, and that sometimes he needs to, when his blood sugar is low. He pulls out a meter and POOF!  his number appears on the screen.  No pricking of the finger, no blood-squeezing, nothing.  Just…POOF!  Wouldn’t that be nice if it was real!  Which it isn’t.  Reality check.  So, for the most part, that episode was loaded with false information, but at the end was a good message.  Thank goodness something was good about it!  Or else, I might have to have a little word with Disney.  If you didn’t catch it, that was my way of threatening…not good?  Okay, I’ll work on it. J


WARNING: Do not keep reading if you have not watched and want to watch The Bachelorette finale.

EWWWW!





J.P. won.  I am sad.  Ben was the one.  I am mad.




3 comments:

  1. I think Ben was mad!!!!You are right about TV and its misinformation. You keep blogging...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Ben! And I will definitely continue blogging! Are you kidding me? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you keep writing these blogs maybe someday one of the show writers will see the truth and more accurately represent it if future shows.

    It is good for people to know the real facts.
    Ben gave the natural response any real person would have. She was hugging and kissing him the day (maybe two) before and then he is told he has not been chosen. This show is ridiculous. I’m not sure why anyone would want to go on the show except for all their dating is paid for and they get to travel around the world. You even get an expensive ring. Really personal?

    ReplyDelete